Restenosis and occlusion after carotid surgery assessed by duplex scanning and digital subtraction angiography.
In a study of 140 patients operated upon with 143 carotid endarterectomies (mean follow-up time 5.2 +/- 2.3 years, range 1 month - 9.3 years), vessel morphology was examined with duplex scanning in 113 patients and with digital subtraction angiography (DSA) in 82 patients. The operative mortality was 1.4%; persisting stroke morbidity 3.6% and the combined operative mortality/morbidity 5%. During the follow-up time a further 20 patients (14.5%) died, 13 had new strokes and 14 new TIAs. By life table analysis, the annual rate of stroke including the operative period was 2.7% (1.7% on the operated side and 1.0% on the non-operated side). Fourteen new occlusions (12%) of the operated carotid artery was found and restenosis (greater than 50%) in 13 patients (11.2%). Progression of the atherosclerotic disease in the contralateral non-operated carotid artery was found in 41 patients (37%) including 3 new occlusions. Agreement DSA/duplex was 88% on the operated side and 92% on the non-operated side. New strokes or TIAs on the operated side were more common in patients with occlusions or restenosis (p less than 0.05), whereas no symptoms were referable to occlusions on the non-operated side. Risk factor analysis revealed an increased risk of atherosclerotic progression on the non-operated side in smokers and those with two or more risk factors. The risk of restenosis in the operated carotid artery was higher in females (p less than 0.025).
- Copyright © 1986 by American Heart Association