Abstract TMP37: Adult Moyamoya Disease : Clinical Presentation, Treatment Outcome and Prognostic Factor
Background and Purpose: This study was aimed to investigate treatment results and outcome predictors in adult patients with moyamoya disease.
Methods: During the period from 2000 to 2011, a clinical database of adult patients with definite moyamoya disease were collected retrospectively from 8 participating centers in Korea during the period from 2000 to 2011. Among total 399 elligible patients, 355 cases were evaluated about clinical and radiological outcomes through medical records. Stroke-free survival rate and prognostic factors for stroke recurrence were measured by Kaplan-Meier and Cox regression methods. Neurologic outcome was assessed according to surgical revascularization and conservative observation.
Results: The mean age of symptom onset was 39.4 (±13.8) years. Male to female ratio was 1 to 2.16. Presenting symptoms were ischemia in 197 (55.5%), hemorrhage in 118 (33.2%), and asymptomatic in 40 (11.3%) patients. The median follow-up was 34.3 months (range 0.4 to 284.8). One hundred thirty seven (38.6%) of the 355 patients received observational conservative management. The remaining 218 (61.4%) patients underwent one of direct, indirect or combined revascularization. In the total adult moyamoya patients, 5 year stroke-free survival rate of surgery and observation group was 82.8% vs 73.4%, respectively. In the ischemic moyamoya cases, 5 year stroke-free survival rate of surgery and observation group was 80.9% vs 76.2%, respectively. In the hemorrhagic moyamoya cases, 5 year stroke-free survival rate of surgery and observation group was 83.7% vs 70.1%, respectively. In the asymptomatic cases, 5 year stroke-free survival rate of surgery and observation group was 95.3% vs 83.1%. There was no significant difference between surgical and observation group in Kaplan Meier Survival analysis. Angiographic stage was only a significant factor for stroke recurrence (HR 3.275, 95% CI; 1.251-8.575, P=0.016). Neurologic outcome tended to be better in the surgical group than the observation group (88.5% vs 81.8%, P=0.074)
Conclusions: In adult moyamoya patients, the long-term prognosis of surgical treatment may be better than that of conservative observation under real-world setting. Angiographic stage is a predictor of future stroke
- © 2012 by American Heart Association, Inc.