Stereotactic Catheter Ventriculocisternostomy for Clearance of Subarachnoid Hemorrhage
A Matched Cohort Study
This article requires a subscription to view the full text. If you have a subscription you may use the login form below to view the article. Access to this article can also be purchased.
Background and Purpose—Delayed cerebral infarction (DCI) is a major source of morbidity and mortality after aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage. We report a novel intervention—stereotactic catheter ventriculocisternostomy (STX-VCS) and fibrinolytic/spasmolytic lavage therapy—for DCI prevention. Outcomes of 20 consecutive patients are compared with 60 matched controls.
Methods—On the basis of individual treatment decisions, STX-VCS was performed in 20 high-risk aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage patients admitted to our department between September 2015 and October 2016. Three controls matched for age, sex, aneurysm treatment method, and admission Hunt and Hess grade were assigned to each case treated by STX-VCS. DCI was the primary outcome. Mortality and mRS at rehabilitation discharge were secondary outcome parameters. The association between STX-VCS and DCI, mortality, and mRS was assessed by conditional logistic regression.
Results—Stereotactic procedures were performed without surgical complications. Continuous cisternal lavage was feasible in 17 of 20 patients (85%). One adverse event because of cisternal lavage was without sequelae. DCI occurred in 25 of 60 (42%) controls and 3 of 20 (15%) patients with STX-VCS (odds ratio, 0.15; 95% confidence interval, 0.04–0.64). Mortality occurred in 20 of 60 (33%) controls and 1 of 20 (5%) patients with STX-VCS, respectively (odds ratio, 0.08; 95% confidence interval, 0.01 – 0.66). Favorable outcome (mRS≤3) at rehabilitation discharge was observed in 12 of 20 patients with STX-VCS (60%) versus 21 of 60 (35%) matched controls (odds ratio, 0.26; 95% confidence interval, 0.8–0.86).
Conclusions—STX-VCS was feasible and safe in patients with severe aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage. Initial results indicate that DCI and mortality can be reduced, and neurological outcome may be improved with this method.
- Received March 27, 2017.
- Revision received July 29, 2017.
- Accepted August 2, 2017.
- © 2017 American Heart Association, Inc.